Cosmetic Breast Surgery
There are very few operations that have brought more happiness into the world than breast reduction surgery. Improvement in Back, Neck, Shoulder pains, Headaches etc. are clear benefit to patients. However, there is also clear improvement in lifestyle issues, clothing issues, activity issues as well as general improvement in healthy living. This procedure is a significant surgical procedure, but generally not extremely painful. The recovery is generally predictable. Dr. Fulks has performed this procedure thousands of times in his 21 years of plastic surgery practice.
Who is a Candidate?
- If you have large, heavy breasts, which may be the cause of breathing difficulties, back, shoulder and neck pain, poor posture, bra-strap indentations and chafing under the breasts.
- If you have excessive breast size, which may decrease a sense of attractiveness and self-confidence.
- More attractive contour and smaller breast size.
- Freedom from health problems associated with excessively large breasts.
- Improved self-image.
- The procedure is done under general anesthesia on an outpatient basis or in the hospital.
- Incisions are made around the pigmented area (the nipple-areolar complex) and extend vertically below the nipple and in the fold under the breast. The nipple-areolar complex is moved upward to the desired location; excess breast tissue, fat, and skin are removed.
Recuperation and Healing
- The incisions are covered with light dressings, and the breasts are placed in a bra. The bra holds the breasts symmetrically during initial healing.
- Initial discomfort subsides daily and can be controlled with oral medication.
- Scars will usually fade in 6-12 months.
- Surgery will probably reduce, and possibly eliminate, the ability to breast feed.
- This is general information to prepare patients for surgery and not a reference for our post-operative patients.
An additional procedure that would enhance the result is Liposuction of axillary area to reduce excess fat deposits.
This procedure is commonly covered by insurance though insurance criteria are becoming more and more restrictive. Our staff will assist you in obtaining pre authorization.
The specific risks and the suitability of this procedure for a given individual can be determined only at the time of consultation. All surgical procedures have some degree of risk. Minor complications that do not affect the outcome occur occasionally. Major complications are rare.